JUST IN: Government Military airstrike killed 10 soldiers in Marawi City

Officials said a military airstrike killed 10 soldiers and wounded seven in "friendly fire" in city attacked by militants, as government forces struggled to rout the remaining Islamic extremists who laid a siege.
Military spokesman Brig. Gen. Restituto Padilla said Thursday a Marchetti S-211 jet was on a bombing run over militant positions in Marawi city Wednesday when one bomb hit an army position locked in close-range combat with the extremists.
Padilla says the plane made three successful bombing runs before the wayward bombing happened.
At a news conference in Manila, Defense Secretary Delfin Lorenzana, meanwhile, said the military has ordered an investigation into the deaths of 10 soldiers, revising the figure from the earlier 11 fatalities reported by the spokesperson.
"There were two planes flying. The first plane dropped the ordnance accurately, the second went wrong and hit our troops," Lorenzana said on Thursday.
He said either those on the plane or those coordinating from the ground made a faulty call during the air operation.
The defense chief, appointed administrator of martial law in Mindanao, said he is leaving the decision to ground commanders on whether more airstrikes will be used in the operations.
"It was the first time the [armed forces] encountered such accident," Lorenzana said.
The reported casualties are the latest in the week-long clash between security forces and the Maute terror group that marched into the capital of Lanao del Sur province in Mindanao last week.
On Wednesday morning, MalacaƱang reported 21 state personnel were killed in action, while 72 were wounded in the ongoing battle.
The armed gunmen reportedly from the combined forces of the Abu Sayyaf and Maute groups also suffered casualties, with about 89 killed as of midday on Wednesday.
There were also 19 civilians reported to have perished in the hands of the militants as government said it has retaken about 90 percent of the city.
The violence erupted last Tuesday after soldiers launched a raid to capture militant leader Isnilon Hapilon, who has been designated leader of the Islamic State group's Southeast Asia branch.
But the operation went awry and Hapilon got away. Fighters loyal to him surprised government forces with their firepower, fending off air strikes and house-to-house searches.
The unrest has boosted fears that the Islamic State group's violent ideology is gaining a foothold in the country's restive southern islands, where a Muslim separatist rebellion has raged for decades. — with the Associated Press reporting from Marawi City


  1. will that is destiny : we don't know our death and where we buried only Allah(God) the Almighty knows.

  2. I am unquestionably making the most of your site. You unquestionably have some extraordinary knowledge and incredible stories. what time is it


Powered by Blogger.